Haven't been able to attend forums, or that's not your district?  Don't worry you can still engage in your own forum "virtually".  Use this list to ask the candidates in your district how they feel about issues important to our community.  Issues like support for caregivers, jobs for people with disabilities, quality schools and special education, affordable and accessible housing, restoring SSI/SSA, improving quality and capacity in developmental services, etc. Then share and retweet their answers for our community to see and learn and make informed voting decisions in our best interest. 

(Includes Websites, Facebook, and Twitter Addresses)


Not Sure who's running for office in your district? 
Use this handy widget to find out:

If you're looking for a list of all candidates including all your local government races, the best thing to do is google search the words "Final Qualified Candidate List" and add your county name in the search.   
"Final Qualified Candidate List  (your county name)"

More resources collected by the Association of Regional Centers (ARCA) to help our community engage in electoral advocacy.

Want to make your own "Candidates Forum"
find your polling place
Don't know where to go to vote on November 8th? 
If you're registered to vote but you don't know where to go to vote, use this handy resource developed by the California Secretary of State, Alex Padilla.  You just enter your address and your polling place comes right up.  I tried it and it works great, it gives you an address, a map and polling hours.

A few years back the Spectrum Institute discovered that people with intellectual and developmental disabilities and others conserved in California courts were systematically being denied their right to vote. Tom Coleman of the Spectrum Institute advocated locally with the Los Angeles courts, then took this issue to highest federal levels and state level engaging the US department of Justice, California Supreme Court, the California Secretary of State and the California legislature among others. Alex Padilla, Secretary of State became very supportive and then Assembly member Steven Bradford authored AB 1311 (signed by Governor Brown) to begin to address the problem which was followed by SB 589 by Senator Marty Block (also signed into law by Governor Brown). Below are some details from the Spectrum Institute describing how to get your right to back:
Over the past decade or more, tens of thousands of adults in conservatorships lost their right to vote in California under an old law that has recently been changed.  The new law (SB 589) went into effect on January 1, 2016.  It prohibits judges from taking away the right to vote from anyone who can express a desire to vote.  SB 589 also allows current conservatees who were previously disqualified from voting to ask that their right to vote be given back to them.  All they have to do is ask -- in whatever way they are capable of communicating.  Someone can help them ask.  No attorney is needed. There is no fee. People who want reinstatement can write to the superior court that placed them into a conservatorship.  The letter would say "I want to vote" or "Give me back my right to vote."  Include the name of the conservatee and the case number.  Send it to the attention of the Probate Court Clerk.  Include contact information for the conservatee, conservator, or a caregiver in case the court clerk wants to contact you.  The letter should contain the signature or mark of the conservatee or be signed by someone on their behalf.  Include a self-addressed and stamped return envelope for the court to use to send you a copy of the order reinstating your right to vote. Once the court enters such an order, the court will forward the conservatee's name to the Registrar of Voters so that it can be taken off the disqualified list. 
When the conservatee receives an order of reinstatement from the court, have someone contact the Registrar's office to get a form to register to vote, since the conservatee will need to file a current registration affidavit.  He or she can have someone help fill out the registration form. Conservatees include seniors who have cognitive disabilities as well as adults with intellectual and developmental disabilities.  If the conservatee is a client of a regional center, he or she can ask the case worker to help forward the request for reinstatement to the appropriate court. 

Is anyone stopping you from voting even though you are legally eligible to vote?  Did you witness anyone preventing a person with a disability the right to vote?  Every now and then we hear of people assuming people with intellectual and developmental disabilities can't vote or that just because the person is conserved it is wrongfully assumed they lost their right to vote. Recent legislation has cleared this matter up in law but many don't know it yet.  Disability Rights California will be providing an all day toll free hotline to troubleshoot problems on November 8th Election Day.  "The service is designed to help those who have difficulty accessing polling places, casting ballots or simply have questions about voting. The toll-free number for voice calls is 888-569-7955. The statewide number for video calls is 800-719-5798."
logo disability rights california

The Arc California
(916) 552-6619
The Arc California, 1225 8th Street, Suite 350, Sacramento, CA 95814
mi Non-Profit Web Hosting provided by myhosting.com

The Arc of California, 1225 8th Street, Suite 350, Sacramento, CA 95814.  Office (916) 552-6619, Fax (916) 441-3494